Tuesday, February 19, 2013

President's Day: Lake Mead

     Yesterday I ventured to Boulder City, Nevada.  Why are there soooo many motels in this small city?  But I digress.  It was a beautiful, sunny, cool day.  The purpose of this visit was to hike the Historic Railroad Tunnel Trail at Lake Mead for the first time.  The trail extends all the way to Hoover Dam, but I didn't go all the way.  It took about 2.5 hours to walk from the parking to the last tunnel and back. Let's hit it...

     As the gravel crunched under my feet, I was passed by the occasional biker and many other hikers.  The sound of helicopters providing areal tours were occasionally heard overhead.



 Ran across a nice glimpse of spring.



Get ya boatin' on.......




 
I thought I heard bats in the tunnels, but when I stopped walking I didn't hear anything.  So I don't know it there were bats in the cave or just bats in the brain.
 



 
There were a lot of people hiking.....families, kids and dogs.  A few were out snapping pics like me.
 

 
 
So...nice day, nice hike.  If you ever find yourself in Boulder City, NV take a walk through the tunnels at Lake Mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment