Sunday, September 30, 2012

Zion Park, Utah

     Yesterday, fate blew me into Zion National Park in Utah.  This park is located about 3 hours north east of Las Vegas, Nevada.  Usually is costs 25 dollars per car to experience this wonder of nature.  But September 29, 2012 was National Public Lands Day, so I got in for the low, low free.  After doing a little research I decided to take part in one of the ranger lead hikes, but I got there too late.  The time in Utah is 1 hour ahead of Nevada and I did not take that into consideration.  When I got there I though it was 9:45, but it was actually 10:45.  Oh well.....

The park has a wonderful free shuttle system.  After parking near the visitors center, I took the shuttle to Weeping Rock.  The Weeping Rock Trail is less than 1/2 mile long.  It's in such a shady and damp area in the park that I got chill bumps from the cool air.


 
There were constant drops of water from overhead.  I got a little wet.

 
This area was very cool, damp and shady. I also caugh a glimpse of what looked like a Steller's Jay.





     After leaving Weeping Rock I caught the shuttle to the Temple of Sinawava and completed the Riverside Walk.  It is a little over 2 miles round trip.

 
 

I saw a few animals here.  Mostly squirrles, a fox, deer, lizards, lots of butterflies and a few birds.  I'm not sure what's going on with this guy, but he's loud.
 




Las Vegas is sooooo dry, I got excited to see the river flowing through and sculpting the canyon. This is the Virgin River.




After completing this easy hike, I took the shuttle to an area known as the Grotto.  Once there I hiked the Kayenta Trail and the Lower Emerald Pools Trail.

 
 
 
Lower Emerald Pool




Can you spot the young buck, relaxing in the shade by the river?




     Finally I took the Pa'rus trail from the Visitor's Center, to the Zion Human History Museum.
This is the view from behind the museum.