Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Summer Afternoon at the Monastery

Today I ventured 15 miles outside of I-285 to the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. I first heard about this place while getting ready for work one morning this past spring. As I sat on the couch contemplating another day of work, the morning news ran a story about the monastery. Prior to this I didn't even know there was a monastery this close to Atlanta. So after a little research at www.trappist.net it was time to roll out.

The Monastic Heritage Center
After leaving the parking lot, I was already sweating profusely by the time I got to the Heritage Center. I suppose I should have been grateful that it was only 95 degrees unlike this weekend when we had two back to back days of 106, but once it gets over 90, its all the same. In the center, there was a very informative video pertaining to the history, and other facts about this Catholic Monastery. If you bleed green, you can even have a green burial across the street in the cemetery. You too can be buried monk style.....no embalming or casket required.
After the video I proceeded down the hall, where there was more information. At the exit of this part of the center, there is a small bonsai garden. These trees are carefully cultivated by the monks. Its very peaceful with the sound of trickling water.



After leaving the bonsai garden, I entered the barn. Here there are nice exhibits providing more information about the Monastery. The most interesting exhibit to me was "A Day in the Life of a Monk." In a nutshell, they get up around 4 and go to bed around 8. During the day they have 4.5 hours of labor and spend the rest of the time eating, praying, studying, attending mass and in "divine pondering."  I don't know about you, but that sounds fine to me.
After leaving the barn, I proceeded to the Bonsai Store/Greenhouse and next to the Garden Cafe for a little libation. 
The Abby Church, Retreat House and lake are a 4-5 minute walk from the Heritage Center. Visitors are not allowed inside the retreat house(unless you are actively retreating) or the monks living quarters. But if life's got you down you too can take a weekend or mid-week retreat here. 
The beautiful blue hue of light emanating from the stained glass windows inside the Abby Church.
The duck filled lake is nestled down the hill from the Church/Retreat complex. I hadn't seen sooooo many ducks at the same place in a while.  They began to swim towards me, but sorry, no food for you.

Path to the lake.


OMG, the ducks are coming to get me!!!
After leaving the lake, I ran into a couple of folks with two big bags of bread heading to the lake. Guess that's who they were waiting for. 
After leaving the lake I made my way back to the welcoming air-conditioned Abbey Store.  There is a nice flower bed right outside the entrance and the fragrant smell was wonderful.  The monks are apparently famous for their fudge, biscotti and fruitcake.  So since I don't like fruitcake or biscotti (unless accompanied by black coffee), the fudge won out.  Now eight dollars for 6oz of fudge is pretty pricey, but I'm worth it.  It's pretty tasty...but take note, I'm by no means a fudge connoisseur.
So, this is was a nice outing, it would be even better on a cool fall or spring day.  Technically everything is free (including parking) but donations are welcomed.
I saw one black person during my visit.  On my last trip outside of 285 I didn't see any.  Come on people, lets get outside of 285!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment