Friday, July 27, 2012

Fish and Butterflies

Yesterday I traveled about 70 miles outside of 285 to Callaway Gardens.  The main reason I went was to experience the Day Butterfly Center.  Since the Butterfly Center was not as big as I expected I decided to do a few other things. 


So I began my day in the Butterfly Center.  First of all it was HOTTTT inside.  I knew it was going to be humid to mimic the tropical environment, but I didn't think I would feel like an oven.  But besides that it was nice to see all the butterflies flying around and not worry about any bees.  I got there early so it was not packed with people. There were some folks with really nice cameras with LONG lenses, I felt like an amateur snapping pictures with with a cell phone. Here are a few pics of butterflies that I hadn't seen before.
 

The "eye" helps to ward off predators.



  



After leaving the Butterfly Center I decided to rent a bike. (No helmet cause I'm a G!!!)   It looked like it was from the 1970's but oh well.  I rode to the Sibley Horticultural Center first to take a look at the plants. I  really liked the bike trail because it went through the shady woods.  
I don't even like bananas but I like looking at the banana plants. Fun fact.....they are PLANTS not TREES.
  



Banana Flower with bananas at the top.

After looking at the plants I decided to feed the Koi.  Here is a little video of........fish.






After leaving the Sibley Horticultural Center I rode my rented 1970's bike to the vegetable garden.  This is  where The Victory Garden was filmed.  That's an old PBS show that used to come on back in the day when everyone had nine channels. There were a lot of flowers and a lot of bees.  There was a sign up to inform the visitors not to eat/pick the fruits and veggies.  But lo and behold there were a group of folks chowing down on what appeared to be muscadines.

Three bees on a Sunflower. Please don't sting me!

Pretty Peppers

My solo day trip to Callaway Gardens was good.  I got a great workout riding that old bike around and got a little closer to nature.  It's always good to get outside and stop being mesmerized by little glowing rectangles all day.   If you ever go, be sure to get water and snacks BEFORE you go into the park.  I bought some water, a small bag of chips and a Twix for almost six dollars!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment